Challenges and Problem Statement
We follow the following three step process starting with identifying obsolescence issues proactively
Technology advancement and changes in technologies are happening at much faster rate than NPD refresh or product upgrades and that leads to obsolescence issues. The challenge is more prominent for low volume and legacy products. Addressing these challenges is often done in reactive mode rather than as a planned process. Obsolescence issues can cause Production delay and that leading to potential revenue lost, unplanned last time buy, and excessive inventories that can lead to significant capital lost
Implementing an efficient proactive obsolescence management is the best long-term solution to sustain product’s parts throughout its lifecycle. iLenSys experienced team with help of our software tool perform proactive obsolescence for Bill of Materials to avoid using parts which are nearing to obsolescence and thus not recommended for new designs. This forecast also includes finding a second source alternative for components
we help with
- Providing proactive obsolescence analysis for parts including Electrical, Electronics, Electro-Mechanical, Software/Firmware and Mechanical
- Suggesting compatible alternative components
- Supporting supply chain with inventory planning, dual sourcing and risk tracking for the critical parts
- Working on redesign to facilitate new components and systems
- Planning design refresh cycles based on the forecasted risks
- Continuous monitoring of the obsolescence risks
Automated BOM Upload: Using API’s automate the BOM upload from ERP tool to our product, this eliminates any BOM item mismatch and manual errors. Manual upload options also provided as part of BOM management workspace Automated PCN and EOL Alerts and Notifications: Subscribers receive automated Product Change Notification (PCN) and End-of-life (EOL) product alerts for early warning on future obsolescence.
Critical Components List: Critical components of a given product BOM are identified for life cycle forecasting and continuous monitoring.
Parts Availability Projections: For critical components, review up to date parts availability along with projections Forecasting & Continuous Monitoring: Life cycle of the critical parts are forecasted for the obsolescence risks and continuously monitored.
Forecasting & Continuous Monitoring: Life cycle of the critical parts are forecasted for the obsolescence risks and continuously monitored
Report Wizard: Create and export standard and custom reports with ease
My Dashboard: See a graphical representation of your BOM’s health-parts, manufacturers and life-cycle status
While addressing obsolescence issues through design refresh and redesign our team will also look at additional functional upgrade opportunities and come up with recommendations. Functional upgrades are identified by looking at quality/warranty issues related to obsolescence identified parts; coverage of obsolescence parts in planned NPDs; technology upgrade and cost optimization opportunities
- iLenSys comprehensive approach towards obsolescence management will help reduce the cost of managing the obsolescence up to 40% over the period of products life cycle
- Gain efficiencies through common obsolescence approaches, processes and tools across and between business units/divisions
- iLenSys ATOM® software tool helps identify, forecast and continuously monitor critical parts obsolescence risks systematically
- Early identification of obsolete parts will reduce parts shortages issues and manage the supply chain effectively
- More control on safety critical parts with continuous monitoring and risk prioritization approach will eliminate regulatory exposure risks
- Results in more resolutions and time to respond to obsolescence related risks and issues
- Design refresh plans and functional upgrade recommendations will ensure to keep the product vital till the planned discontinuity
Obsolescence MANAGEMENT TOOL?